1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed is this? I was told Americana.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 6Micks, Jun 7, 2016.

1. 6Micks

6Micks New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is my 6-7 week old "American"? I was told Americana or Easter Egger. Not sure if Hen or Rooster yet. (Tail was bitten off by my dog. All healed now. Need to introduce back into flock, but that is another discussion.) Can anyone tell me what breed this is? Gender would be nice too. Thanks.

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    It looks like you have an Easter Egger (EE) there. Ameraucanas are typically only available through breeders, and are sold as a specific variety (color - black, silver, blue, etc.). The color you have there is not an accepted variety (color) of Ameraucana. Americana is just another term people use for EEs. Many people are easily confused about the difference between Ameraucanas and Americanas.

By the looks of the coloring, I would guess it's an EE cockerel (males tend to often have the splotchy brown on their wings). If you could include a close-up picture of the comb, that would be helpful. Many times you can see three ridges running down the comb on males, whereas females tend to only have one ridge. It's not a guarantee, but it does help narrow things down a bit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    That looks like an Easter Egger to me. A better pic from the side would help me confirm that. I'm really pretty bad with gender but a better pic might help me give you an idea. Hopefully someone else can pipe in with gender. :)

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Could you get a better picture? How old is it? Chances are it is an Easter Egger.

5. 6Micks

6Micks New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    Can't upload picture from my phone. I'll get a better pic later. Pretty sure it's a Cockrell by its behavior. Was hoping for a hen.

6. 6Micks

6Micks New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    Well, the verdict is in. 'Amy', as the girls have been calling it, started crowing a few days ago. Se we have a tailess EE Rooster.

7. 6Micks

6Micks New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

Thought I would send a photo of Amy now. Tail grew out fine. He is doing great!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks for the update. He's a fine looking young man!

I had an Ee rooster years ago named Bette [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Truly handsome EE rooster

10. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    He certainly grew up to be a beautiful boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by