What breed is this?? I was told she is a Barred Rock...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JesNflock, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    The lady who sold me this chick said she was a BR, but I am beginning to have doubts that that is what she is. Does anyone have any opinions as to if she is a BR or a Cuckoo Marans or even maybe something else?? She is about 6 weeks old. Her feet aren't the yellow that the BR should be...They are more whitish-cream color with black on them. Would they change when she gets a little older or should they already be yellow?
    [​IMG]
    She has a single comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not a great picture of her leg..
    [​IMG]
    You can see her leg color a little better here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if this is the BR pattern or not
    If I need to get some better pics I'm sure I can. Any help would be GREAT!!!

2. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Same thing happened with my barred rocks. Pinkish legs with a super dark wash down the front. Their legs didn't turn yellow till they were over 7 weeks old. Then BAM, bright yellow, seemingly overnight. Well, maybe not overnight, but by 9-10 weeks. It was kind of strange. It was really confusing because I'd also been sold some cuckoo marans chicks, and they all looked the same, even though their legs are supposed to be pinkish, and the BR yellow.

3. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I guess I'm going to have to wait and see what happens...ugghh waiting is so hard lol

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think she's a barred rock, just hatchery quality. I have hens with this type of barring, it's hard to see but it's different than the cuckoo pattern, even though it's not nice clear barring.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm guessing that she is a Barred Rock. Cuckoo Marans aren't as common, and have even whiter legs than your bird. Still ,post more photos in a few weeks and we'll see if her leg color has changed at all.

6. Rebecca in FL

Rebecca in FL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Barred Rock, definitely!

7. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Cool That's what I was going for in the first place [​IMG]

8. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Also, of you who have had experience with BRs do you think "she" IS an pullet or a roo? I'm hoping pullet, but I'm so new at this I have so many questions. lol ( I really hope pullet but...) Here are a couple other pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by