What breed is this lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VikingHen, Aug 19, 2013.

1. VikingHen

VikingHen New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    My wife and I began our chicken hobby this past spring when everyone was giving away chicks when they stopped being so cute. We got 13 birds for free to start or flock. Problem is we didn't know what they were and they weren't sexed. We have figured out all the breeds except for these red and white hens (not the Orpingtons). Any idea what need she is? I guess she could be a cross of some sort.

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She is a Red Star also called a Red sexlink, Cinnamon queen, etc. They are great at laying eggs mine layed an egg almost every day even through the winter. [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Red sex-link. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link hens. They're great backyard birds!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are Red Sex-Links, also called Red Stars, Red Star Sex-Links, Cinnamon Queen, etc. You should get lots of large brown eggs from them. I have a friend who has a Red Sex-Link, and her hen has only skipped on day of laying since she began laying last fall.

6. VikingHen

VikingHen New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks guys!

7. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    In case you need one more...................... Red Sex-Links, hens too. They're phenomenal layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by