What breed is this light brown (not red!) hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eatbluefood, Jun 16, 2016.

1. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Does anyone know what breed she is?[​IMG]
    Sorry for the photo quality. She is light cocoa brown, almost salmon. Not light red like a red sex link.
    [​IMG]
    She's the one on the right, on the hay bale. For comparison, the one to the left is more red or golden colored (around the neck anyway). She's not mine so I may not be able to get more photos. She may be the mother of some of my chicks, though, so I'd like to figure out what breed she is.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Does she have a sort of mottled, muddled pattern or is that a trick of the lighting?

3. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    I thought she looked basically like a red sex link to me, but the color isn't red or buff, it's more like the color of milky hot chocolate or coffee with too much cream. There might be more of a pattern there, now that I'm looking at the photos again.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say Buff Orpington cross.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree and that talk of milky hot chocolate is bringing out my chocolate addiction :)

6. eatbluefood

eatbluefood Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    The body shape does look a bit like orpington. One more thing I remembered.... The woman I got the chicks from said (in her ad) that some of her hens were polish, silkie, "marians" and "icebars" which I translated as marans and isbars. Could this be an odd looking wheaten marans?

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like a muddied mauve orpington...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by