What breed is this lovely lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nmata, Mar 19, 2017.

1. nmata

nmata New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    We recently entered the fun new adventure of raising chickens. We fell in love with the description of Buff Orpington's, got them at 1 day old.....we have 4 "buffs" though three looks different than the one. Can someone tell me if this is, in fact, a Buff and if it is not what it she?

Poulet
    [​IMG]

Kylling
    [​IMG]

Thanks all,
    N

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Top pic looks like a Rhode Island red, bottom looks like a buff.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. TikiRoost6

TikiRoost6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    ISA brown?

4. nmata

nmata New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you.......can I ask also where is the best place to get pullets? I got my chics at a local poultry supplier and did not get the breed I was looking for. Are the online Hatcheries a good place to buy from?

N

5. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Great question!! I'm new at this, but have wanted chickens for years & have researched breed after breed!! We finally got our chicks at TSC & so far so good.[​IMG]
    It made me nervous ordering them through the mail since the weather here in MD is still cold & I've read so many sad stories about them passing away.[​IMG]

6. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Here's a pic of one of my RIR's if that helps. She's about a week old if that helps.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Here's another one of my RIR's...[​IMG]

8. nmata

nmata New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks....that is exactly what they looked like.....guess I can say they are RR's. Thanks. Sad I did not get the ones I thought I was getting but RR's sound like great birds too.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your first bird is a hatchery Rhode Island Red. Second bird is a buff Orpington.

Feed stores are hit or miss as to buying chicks. Some places are notorious for ignorant staff, mixed up chicks, just a mess. My local feed stores, a Grange Co-op and an indpenedently owned place, are wonderful about knowing the breeds and selling the correct chicks.

If you're going to buy from a feed store, best thing to do is to research the breed you want, and what it's supposed to look like as a chick. All the major hatcheries have good pics of chicks of various breeds on their sites, use them as a good resource and know the traits you're looking for. Down color, leg color, feathers on the legs or not, comb style (yes, you can tell comb style on newly hatched chicks, you just need to look close) are all things to keep in mind.

Major hatcheries right off are Ideal Poultry, Cackle, Meyers, Murray McMurray.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    first chick RIR second chick Buff Orp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by