1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this mini horse?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KarateHorse, Dec 24, 2016.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is our miniature horse named Jitterbug. Does anyone know what breed she might be? If more pictures are needed I can post them.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    My sister says its for sure a Falabella

3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Falabella or Shetland. How many hh is she?

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If you don't have a pedigree, it isn't any breed, it's just a stocky, sturdy, not particularly anything miniature horse. Lots of people breed them because they think they are cute, but someone who is actually breeding for quality will be trying to maintain a little value by maintaining registration and keeping pedigrees.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  5. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    miniature horses is not a actual breed. just a height breed, and any horse that measures under 38 inchs tall is then classified as a miniature.
    however mini horses do come in 2 classes.
    class A 34 inch and under
    class B 34-38 inch
    theres 2 registrations, AMHA & AMHR
    they also have 2 body types, draft and Araby, or heavy and refined.

And unfortunately you absolutely cant tell if that mini is a falabella or even a blend without paperwork proving so.

however i can tell you she looks to be class A from this picture and is definitely a grulla in color. which is a dun colored horse and can see her barring on her legs. she also has a dorsal strip down her spine. And from the pic, looks pretty nice in conformation.

if no paperwork/pedigree, she is just a "grade" mini. thats all.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, likely just a backyard bred grade mini, but an absolutely beautifully colored one!

Registered minis, with proven show records in their lineage, or show records of their own, can sell for crazy high prices. Several of my friends in Oklahoma breed and show minis on a national level, and have many 5-figure horses on their property.

7. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Thanks for all the information from everybody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by