What breed is this? New pics added at an older age

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cindy2348, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Please see the updated pics below

I took 24 Buff Orpington eggs to a gentleman to hatch for me and to my surprise not all are Buffs!!! He figured out that a dozen of my eggs got mixed with a dozen fresh eggs for sale. So I have some chicks that I have no idea what they are. Some have furry feet and some not. This one does not. Please help me out to try and identify what they are. I will post some pics of the other ones too.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some more updated pictures, what do you think now?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    it looks to have a rosecomb, so I'm going with Dominique.

3. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Here is another one of my mystery chicks... they are a week old. This one has the furry feet. We are new to this and were looking to start with one breed, it is OK that we have these but I would like to know what they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Songster

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Dominique or BR and Cochin.

5. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Here are some more to take a peek at.
    These too look alike but one of them has more fur on his feet than the other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is the other
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has lighter feathers than the buffs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is pretty much the same as the buffs but it really tiny...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all your help in solving the mystery.

6. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Songster

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Welcome to BYC. You're gonna love it here! My guess is Barred Rock for the black one with no feathers on its feet, and the others, I would say, have some Cochin. That's my uneducated guess! Hopefully, someone else who has more of a clue than I do, will chime in here!

7. classless chickens

classless chickens Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    What kind of chickens did the farmer/breeder have?

8. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    I bought 24 buff orpington eggs and took them to a guy to hatch them for me. He works in a feed store and brought the eggs into the store before he put them into the incubator and in hind sight thinks that they got mixed up with a lady that brings in fresh eggs to sell. He said she brough in one dozen and mine must have gotten sold in their place leaving her dozen to get hatched with my remaining dozen. So I have no idea what they could possibly could be. When my husband brought them home there were black ones in the bunch our surprise. He brought home 19 and three died none of them being the buff orpingtons thankfully. So I am left with mystery chicks and am trying to identify them. Three of the bunch are black and three of the yellows have whiter wings than the buffs, one is yellow that I think is a cochin and one is a really tiny chick which is hard to tell in the pictures but is quite a bit smaller. Any help is greatfully appreciated. As a first timer we will have quite a mix when we were just looking for one breed. Oh well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    First thing I want to say is that this may be a blessing in disguise! Integrating new birds into a flock that is all one breed is often hard to do, while starting with a mixed flock really doesn't make learning about your birds or the process of caring for them any harder.

You'll enjoy having multiple breeds- I promise!

That being said, I think you have some nice looking birds there! I see what look like Large Fowl Cochins and Barred Rocks, which are wonderful, friendly birds, especially if you handle them daily. Mine are like lap dogs and fight over who's being held at any given moment. both are good layers, and should you decide to hatch your own next time, Cochins make excellent broodies and great mothers (my BR did this year, too!)

I think you'll be very happy with them, and if there are questions as they age, keep us posted!

Edited to add: As you get a little more feathering, you can post back here for the gender of the birds- with the Barred Rocks, the males will have white bars on the feather wider than the black, and vice versa for the females, so the girls will start to look darker.

For the Cochins, the blacks might feather out with some white tips, but they'll likely go all black, and the yellow will likely feather out white. Your smaller buff may be just a small Buff Orp, however it may also be a bantam or something else. A little more time may give us a better guess.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:I am in total agreement if this one has a rosecomb it is Dominique... But even if it has a straight comb(barred Rock) it looks like you've got a male either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: