What breed is this please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KP, Apr 26, 2009.

1. KP

KP New Egg

Apr 26, 2009
    My son wants to show fancy chickens at the fair for 4-H (first year). So, I answered an ad on Craigslist and bought some chickens. I fully explained to the seller what I needed the chickens for, that they needed to be purebred, etc. He assured me that they were purebred and would be great for 4-H. I bought 2 pairs (rooster and hen).

I came home and looked up pictures on the internet. The first set were supposedly black silkies. Dead give-away when I got home and compared with on-line pictures was that the silkies I bought had big red single combs. OK, he cannot show those at the fair.

The second pair I bought, the seller told me are bantam partridge cochins. They also do not look like the breed pictures on the internet. Can someone tell me what breed this chicken is. I hope it is purebred something otherwise I am out $40 and my son has nothing to show at the fair.

By the way, I am angry and sad, because when I contacted the seller and told him that he misrepresented his birds, he said "all sales final" and that the silkies were at least part silkie. He KNEW I needed purebred. UGH!

Thank you for any help identifying this bird.
    Uh oh, I just realized I don't know how to add photos here.
    Um, it is the chicken on the top left of this website http://chickenschickenschickens.shutterfly.com/

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    looks like a mix breed

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    its a partridge cohin it says if you click the little pic below it of the same pic

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a partridge cochin.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm sorry this happened to you. [​IMG] That seller is not being fair -'all sales final' should only apply when you receive what you are supposed to receive, not when he misrepresents (or downright lies) about what he is selling to you.

I have no idea what type of chicken that is - I'm not familiar with cochins.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Well she looks like she is half partridge cochin and half black silkie. Do they all look like that?

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Hi KP, welcome to BYC. Where are you located?
    Maybe someone could help you out with getting some purebreds. And in spite of "all sales final," he lied to you, and could be taken to small claims court, maybe the threat would be enough to get your money back.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
  9. KP

KP New Egg

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks for the fast replies.

Arizona and Jenj -- yes, he misrepresented. I went back and forth with him in e-mail and he said that he did not lie because he did not know that they weren't purebred. Now whether that is a lie or not, I do not know. But I said regardless of whether or not he knew he was not selling a purebred, he should take them back and refund my money since he told me he was selling purebred and they were not. Basically, I paid $10 per bird ($40 total) for 4 mutts. I guess "buyer beware" applies here. Then I said he should refund because it was a faulty product, not what he was advertising. He said, "Well, at least the silkies are part silkie, so they are not faulty. No refunds." I said my son cannot show part silkies at the fair and he advertised purebred, I told him I needed purebred and he assured me they were purebred. He said he was not in the business of giving refunds but in the business of making money. Needless to say, he is not very ethical. I got burned!

Although, I must say, my son has fallen in love with black part-silkie rooster, because he is very calm and friendly.

The thing that makes me most mad, is that the seller was not just taking advantage of me, but of a 10 year old boy who wanted to show fancy chickens in 4-H for the first time.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If you have any more chicken questions dont be affraid to post. With all of the kind chicken folks around BYC we can help you find the best chickens for the best prices. There are also several great breeders here that sell eggs from show winning flocks if you have an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by