What breed is this PP?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cicene mete, Apr 23, 2009.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    One of 10 ( [​IMG] [​IMG] ) packing peanuts from Ideal.

[​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    legs look white so I am thinking buff orp?

3. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Any other breeds he could be? You think they sent me 10 BOs? I'll have a flock of calm roosters to deal with.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have heard it is very common they are the same breed, especially since the breeds are separated at the hatchery. Makes sense to just grab what you need out of one bin rather than go get a few different ones....
    that is the only breed I know of the the hatcheries carry that have white legs, if they were yellow I would say they could be at least 5 different breeds, but white legs, single comb and buff usually is a buff orp...

5. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Hmm. I took some more pictures, and now I'm not so sure about the leg color. Would you take a look at these?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken leg close-ups, what a way to spend a morning! [​IMG]

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Looks like my BO's.

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i also say BO's .they are so great too!

8. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    That's great! I love my BO hens.

On a related question, any advice on how long I should keep them, how many I should keep, and the best way to get rid of the extras. Since they sent me 10 as packing peanuts, and I will probably just keep one in the end, do you think I should put an ad in craigslist now or wait until later? How have other people handled the whole "males for warmth" issue?

I have six full-grown hens and seven presumably female chicks.

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You have a few choises here. Could be white leghorns which are very common packing peanuts. Bo or White O or even micorca which is not as likely.

10. anydayisnow

anydayisnow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbia SC
    I put my packing peanuts on craigslist two days after I got them. I had 12 peanuts, and I sold them as a package deal so I didn't have to deal with them trickling out. I personally didn't want to deal with feeding and cleaning up after 12 peanuts when I ordered 6 chicks. Craigslist was great. The peanuts were gone within 4 hours, and I was able to recoup some of my expenses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by