what breed is this pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mekare, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    And is she a pullet? We got 3 chicks two weeks ago. I'm making an individual post for each of them. Their back story is in the first paragraph of this post. Penelope was 3 1/2 weeks when we got her, 1 1/2 weeks older than the others and she takes the mama role with the little ones. She lets them sleep under her (more so when they were smaller). She's the boldest, the first to eat from our hands and the first to fly a little. When I asked her breed from the seller I was told she is a "frizzle". She feels very fluffy. She had all of her big kid feathers when we got her including feathers down her legs. She's definitely gotten bigger but her appearance hasn't really changed at all. Any guesses at her actual breed? Do you believe she's a girl? Thanks for your help. [​IMG] Three and a half weeks old (homecoming day) [​IMG] Three and a half weeks old (younger kids sticking close) [​IMG] Four and a half weeks [​IMG] Four and a half weeks [​IMG] Five and a half weeks [​IMG] Five and a half weeks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. I'd like to say cuckoo marans, but they have white legs. I'd say she's a mix, maybe with some barred rock in her? She's cute! [​IMG]

3. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    So she'll probably give brown eggs? What about the feathers on her legs? Thanks for the suggestions, they seem to look like her a lot. :)

4. Cuckoo Maran mix,
    Don't be surprised if that ends up a roo, very pretty and pullet like now but when they get big combs (pink or yellow) tends to mean they're gonna end up boys (not always, some get bigger combs at younger ages, but pink / red at young age always means boy)
    Very cute girl, we have one who won't hatch but took 40 little chicks we had and basically mothered them until they were 15 weeks, LOL.
    Now I'm saying girl though

5. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    Oh ok. Thanks.

I had her ages wrong, they have been fixed.

6. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    Penelope is 6 1/2 weeks. Sometimes she hops up on my lap for some cuddles. Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    I think I am going to declare her a Barred Rock Cochin. She is very affectionate and SO FLUFFY. (please excuse my 'Despicable Me' outburst.) Thoughts?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred is a color. Rock is a breed and Cochin is a breed. I think what you want to say is Barred Cochin. I personally wouldn't agree as her body type doesn't look cochin at all, I'd still go with Marans or just a mixed breed. But in the end she's your bird and you can call her whatever you want!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a Cuckoo Marans or a Cuckoo Marans mix.

10. Mekare

Mekare Chirping

Jul 7, 2013
    But what about the feathered legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: