1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this really? Maran or orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sussexmarans, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sussexmarans

sussexmarans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Tamworth, England
    Our hen Dorris is supposed to be a Maran, but she looks more like a cuckoo orpington. She is developing like a Maran ,27 weeks, still no egg, so we can't tell for sure by the egg colour.[​IMG]
    Heres one from behind[​IMG]
    The white hen is a light sussex

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Her coloration looks all cuckoo marans but I agree - she seems little poofy in the rear end like an orp. Healthy looking bird!

3. sussexmarans

Aug 29, 2012
    Tamworth, England
    Thanks, i guess i'll have to wait until she starts laying!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Is she a hatchery bird? If so, then she's probably Marans that doesn't meet the SOP. I doubt a hatchery would send a cuckoo Orp (which would be really rare to begin with).

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Sussexmarans, what a pretty bird you have!

Being as how you are in the UK, the breed standards for Marans are different than in the US. From what I have seen in photos, the UK version seems to have a softer feather. If you were in the US I would guess Orp, but English Orpingtons seen very different than in the US-yours are very fluffy and roundier. I am going to guess that she is a Marans based on your location, here is a link to the Marans club from the UK: http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/#

Definitely wait until she lays an egg to make the final decision of her breed. You may want to post a photo of her on either the Marans (specify you are in England if you do) thread or the English Orpinton thread here and see of you get more experienced folks to help you (that would be someone other than me!).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. sussexmarans

Aug 29, 2012
    Tamworth, England
    Thanks for the help, will look on the orpington thread.

7. sussexmarans

Aug 29, 2012
    Tamworth, England
    she's started laying, but her eggs are small white eggs, not maran, not orpington, what is it????

8. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Weird! Where did you get her? I've been on the hunt for a round, poofy, white egg layer, but white egg laying breeds all seem to be tight-feathered and scraggly. You're so lucky!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Probably some Marans hybrid

10. sussexmarans

Aug 29, 2012
    Tamworth, England
    maybe, but surely a maran hybrid would lay brown eggs.we have a bluebell (RIR cross maran) and she looks nothing like this weird chicken that has been given unto us :p. And sevenbabychicks, we got her from a hatchery in england, sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by