1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this Roo? PR or RIR? Neither?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blessedchickenmama7, Oct 31, 2009.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I got him from the Tractor Supply Assorted Reds. He may even be a mix... I am not sure if they do mixes or not. He's only seven months old, but we like him a lot. He's very quiet and is a good protector. The little roo behind him.. he's the mouthy one.[​IMG] The one I'm wondering about is the one on the right in both pics. Edit: His foot isn't always turned in that way. It's just how he was standing at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a typical hatchery Rhode Isl Red rooster.

3. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Thanks. I wasn't sure. He was so lightly colored when he was younger and someone told me they thought PR so that's what I went with. But looking at pics, I can't tell the difference between the breeds. How do you tell RIR from PR, especially if they come from a hatchery and aren't as true to the standard?

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Wow he's so light!
    His legs look like my hens after they've been laying a while!

I got my RIR cockerel from the TSC Reds bin too, but he's beautifully colored. Different hatcheries I guess.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He is basically all one color, is why I say RIR rather than PR. His legs are very light, but that's hatchery stock for you sometimes.

6. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Do you mean light in color or thickness? I thought they looked pretty thick compared to my hens... And hens' legs get lighter after they lay for a while?? (Can you tell I'm not very experienced...) He is light, but we think he's quite pretty, no matter what he is. I was just curious.

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    RIR cockerel

8. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    He is a production rhode island red roo. This is what most of the hatcheries sell.

I have them and just got a new roo, who is a heritage bred RIR and what a diffence in size and color. The new roo is bigger than my 2 year old production RIR and is only about 24 weeks old. His color is also much darker/deeper red and his body seams more solid.

I am going to use him on my production RIR pullets to upgrade my stock.

9. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Amber,

Is production RIR a cross or is it a production RIR because it came from a hatchery? (Sorry for my ignorance.) What is heritage bred? (Again, sorry for my ignorance.) My chicks all came from TSC or the feed store so I am sure they are all hatchery babies. But I'd like to know for next spring.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes I meant light in color.
    Yes, hen's legs fade their color pretty fast after they start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by