What breed is this Rooster? Ameracauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poordirtfarmer, Jan 23, 2012.

1. poordirtfarmer

poordirtfarmer New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Anybody have any ideas as to what breed this Rooster is? He is multi color with green legs, tufts on his cheeks,duck winged, and has a real bad attitude. Could it be an Ameracauna? He came from a Well Known Hatchery in a Fancy Chick Lot. HELP!!!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nope. Ameraucanas don't come in gold duckwing color and don't have green legs. He's an Easter Egger.

FYI - those are beard and muffs [​IMG] Tufts are literal feathers coming from the sides of a chicken's face in a curling form, and are only found on true Araucanas and Araucana crosses. They are a pretty rare sight actually. Muff/beards are what your boy has and are common, they're basically fluffy down coming from under the beak and around the sides like a literal beard.

3. poordirtfarmer

poordirtfarmer New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    OK Thanks, I have a dozen Ameracauna Hens, would it hurt to put him in with them, what would be the result, or do i need to find an Ameracauna rooster to keep them pure bred.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it would make more ee's. to keep them pure you have to have the same color roo as hens ex. white hens to white roo, blue hens to blue roo ect.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Also the question is, are your Ameraucana hens actual Ameraucanas? [​IMG] IF your rooster didn't have green legs and if your hens were Silver in color, it would be somewhat okay as long as you bred out the single comb your male there is carrying (likely with brown egg genes) as well as the fact that your male isn't pure for beard/muffs but otherwise, whatever your hens are, you'll make Easter Eggers (mutts)

Which is okay, since, most people out there do have Easter Eggers. I myself breed them. The only issue is false selling/claims of a purebred bird.

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

post pics of ur hens and we can tell u if there pure or not [​IMG]

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It's a Salmon Faverolle (mix?)

[​IMG]

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Looks like a Salmon Faverolle EE cross to me. Coloring and comb indicate SF. Green clean legs indicate EE. Both EE's and SF have beards and muffs.

Whatever he is, he sure is gorgeous!

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    Yep agree!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    No need to use a rooster for breeding if he has a bad attitude [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by