what breed is this rooster? marans, orpington? something else? HELP

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DreamCatcherNC, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DreamCatcherNC

DreamCatcherNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    This rooster was sold to me as a blue copper marans. I bought him sight unseen and when I first saw him, I thought. blue marans.He has grown to be huge and does not seen to fit the bill as a marans. his eyes are not orange . I thought blue Jersey giant, but the bottom of his feet are pink. I hope these pics can yield some insight. any and all help is welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    He sure is pretty, whatever he is. [​IMG]

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a Blue Marans to me (maybe with some gold leakage, it's hard to tell from the pictures). Not sure if blue without the copper is a recognized color in the U.S., but for copper the eyes are "preferred" red or orange, which does not mean that if it doesn't have red/orange eyes it's not a Marans, it just means it doesn't fit breed standards. I think that your bird just happens to be a Blue Marans with the dark eyes.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    marans

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Compared to the hens that he is pictured with he seems awfully large for a Marans.

6. DreamCatcherNC

DreamCatcherNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    that is why I started wondering. he is the biggest rooster in the yard. His comb seems a little different too. That is why I wondered if he might be an american blue orpington

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you should see my parents marans, hes a black copper and looks just like that if not a bit bigger. marans are not small birds they are fairly big

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Could be a Marans.....sometimes some Marans will have dark brown eyes even though it is not what is called for for standard.

I believe that the bottom of Jersey Giants feet are yellow. ;) Marans should be pink.

The only way to tell for sure is to test mate him over a non- Marans female that lays a light brown egg or a white egg (I would use female birds like a Barred Rock, Buff Orp or even a Leghorn).......when the female offspring from this pairing mature and start laying they should lay a darker than the egg they hatched from. If the eggs are darker then the parent eggs then the rooster above is a Marans.

I test mate all of my Marans roosters and cockerels for the dark egg gene this way. I used to use a Barred Rock hen that I had, but she got too old and now I am using a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte to test my males on. The hard part is the waiting for them to start laying eggs to see what color they will be. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by