What breed is this rooster (pic) and what would be a good cross?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jerome Reid, Jan 11, 2014.

1. RI Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cuckoo marans

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Wellsummers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Barred Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Black giant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jerome Reid

Jerome Reid New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    DFW
    This unexpected rooster's life was spared because he's beautiful, but I don't know exactly what breed(s) he is. Now I want chicks. I have some Reds, cuckoo marans, Wellsummers, a black giant, and a Barred Rock. Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He looks like an Easter Egger.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    X2

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I voted Marans cross just for the olive egg potential of offspring. If you can tell what eggs are from whom then I'd go for the crosses that produce most eggs. Likely that's your Red and Rock then the Marans eggs just for the color potential. My reds always gave a reddish brown egg, Rocks a light brown/tan. Those higher producers and the dark Marans cross would provide a colorful basket crossed with the EE Cock.

By the way, your red looks like a sex link which is a hybrid not a RIR.

5. Jerome Reid

Jerome Reid New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    DFW
    I wondered about the RIRs. They weren't advertised as pure-bred, but just judging from image searches, I thought maybe it was close enough. They produce well at least.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's an Easter egger. Unfortunately, you can't be sure if he carries a blue or green egg gene until you breed him and see what his female offspring lay. I'm going to assume he has some colored egg genes for this post.

Crossing him with the Marans or Welsummer will give you Olive Eggers
    Crossing him with the Marans or Barred Rock will give you sex link chicks. Males will hatch with a white spot on their heads and be barred like momma, females will hatch with a solid head and be dark with silver or gold leakage.
    Crossing him with your reds, giant or Rocks will give chicks that may lay green or brown eggs, depending on his make-up.

Are you going to incubate? Personally, with my mixed breeds, I just use everyone's eggs and get surprises!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by