What breed is this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nederbub, Aug 19, 2011.

1. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] He's an "Easter Egger" (pretty sure, anyway). Very pretty. I had one that looked like him.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Arookar

Arookar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Eureka, CA
    Definitely an Ameracauna (Easter Egger). I have four, and thanks for the pic of a roo- now I'm pretty sure all mine are girls! [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I doubt he is an EE. He doesnt have a beard or muffs and usually, but not always, EE's have greenish legs.

4. featherful

featherful Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Where did you get him?

5. nederbub

nederbub New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    We got him from my school (some younger kids had a project of hatching and raising chicks). The teacher got random eggs and had no idea what breed they were. Could it be a crossbreed?

6. slamine

slamine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Quote:That's where the hatcheries have screwed with the minds of their customers. Ameraucanas and easter eggers are NOT the same thing. Ameraucanas are a pure breed, recognized by the APA. An easter egger is a mutt that usually has ameraucana or araucana (another breed that ee's are also commonly and mistakenly referred to as) blood in their backgrounds.

Quote:Take into account the above (the fact that they are a mixed breed) and that they can be mixed with anything and everything, there's no reason why an ee HAS to have muffs, a beard, or green legs. They can come in any color, many patterns, bearded or nonbearded, many comb types, any leg color, etc. There is no standard so simply because they do not have a beard or green legs doesn't necessarily mean they're not an ee.

This being said, he does appear to be an ee, not because he conforms to a "standard", but because he has many characteristics that are more commonly seen in ee's than any other "breed". He's just a barnyard mix that likely had at least one ee as a parent, thus making him an ee.

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I would just call him a mutt. [​IMG] He doesn't really look like an EE other than the pea comb, and there are plenty of breeds that have pea combs.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:That's where the hatcheries have screwed with the minds of their customers. Ameraucanas and easter eggers are NOT the same thing. Ameraucanas are a pure breed, recognized by the APA. An easter egger is a mutt that usually has ameraucana or araucana (another breed that ee's are also commonly and mistakenly referred to as) blood in their backgrounds.

Quote:Take into account the above (the fact that they are a mixed breed) and that they can be mixed with anything and everything, there's no reason why an ee HAS to have muffs, a beard, or green legs. They can come in any color, many patterns, bearded or nonbearded, many comb types, any leg color, etc. There is no standard so simply because they do not have a beard or green legs doesn't necessarily mean they're not an ee.

This being said, he does appear to be an ee, not because he conforms to a "standard", but because he has many characteristics that are more commonly seen in ee's than any other "breed". He's just a barnyard mix that likely had at least one ee as a parent, thus making him an ee.

I wondered how long it would take before someone pointed this out. [​IMG]

If you like him that's all that matters,

Rancher

9. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    My hatchery EE doesn't have GREEN legs either.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by