1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swedishflower2, Aug 25, 2014.

1. swedishflower2

swedishflower2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    I have tried to identify his breed but his traits do not match any breed. He has a orange-red hackles, and his saddle and abdomen feathers are mahogany red. The base of his tail feathers are brown and the sickles are black. The tips of his wings are also black. I thought he was a New Hampshire Red rooster but his comb is not a single one but a beautiful rose comb. His legs are white and his nails are grayish. He is a strong, healthy and beautiful animal and appears to be very smart as when he pretends he is eating to get close to my cat to chase her. The cat knows better. He has attacked my sweet dog twice and myself twice already. I suspect he is a jungle fowl bird but not sure. Please help.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    He looks like a mix.....he doesn't really fit into any breed in my mind at the moment.
    He looks pretty big neat to the Brahma, so I don't think he's a Jungle Fowl.

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    He may very well be a mix but Rhode Island Reds can have rose combs as well as the single combs. How old is he?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Possibly part New Hampshire.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like some sort of gamebird mix.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rhode Island Red or Buckeye mix, probably.

7. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    very pretty rooster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

He's is probably either a RIR mix or New Hampshire red mix. Most likely New Hampshire because of the black tail.

9. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    What ever he is he sure is handsome! Looks like he has some RIR in him.

10. swedishflower2

swedishflower2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Thank you for your input. At the time the picture was taken, about two weeks ago, the Light Brahmas were 16 weeks old. I suspected a mix too but during my research I found red jungle fowl in the "red quills" category that match my rooster's traits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by