What breed is this striped chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by arizonarancher, Jan 12, 2013.

1. arizonarancher

arizonarancher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    A friend of mine had some chicks her hen hatched and didn't want, so I went and got them from her. I didn't see the hen, or the rooster, and have no idea what they are. Any ideas? They have feathers on their legs and look pretty small.

Is it too young to tell? Theres 5 and they all look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    -Also my friend has no idea what hen they came from and theres so many roosters she has no idea who could be the father either.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    what breeds does the friend have?

4. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    All of the chickens run wild in her neighborhood, they're mostly from an older lady who can't care for them much so she does. Her RIRs, EEs, Americaunas, and Barred rocks free range alongside the older ladies chickens. I'm not sure what the old lady has but maybe my friend will know - I will send her an email and ask her if she does know. The amount of chickens in this little neighborhood is amazing, they are really happy chickens but they are allowed to breed and mix together however they please. It was night when I got there so I didn't get to see any besides a Leghorn rooster but none of those breeds have leg feathers.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    nope no leg feathers, but they have different shaped combs. so the chicks might have different combs which would help in trying to figure them out some

6. ladywolf2021

ladywolf2021 New Egg

May 21, 2013
    Amarillo, TX
    did you ever find out what kind of chicken the babys were because i have one identical to your picture and i would love to know what kind it is.

7. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    i think that looks very like a barnevelder chick but would bet on it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by