What breed is this wandering chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OldeDog, Sep 30, 2013.

1. OldeDog

OldeDog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    South Mississippi
    We live in South Mississippi. Last week we found a chicken in our backyard. Efforts to find owner have failed so far. I am unable to decide what is the breed. This is the best picture I have been able to get. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a Blue Andalusian or Orpington from my point of view. Does she have white or red earlobes?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Blue Andalusian. Some other similar looking birds would be Blue Copper Marans and Blue Orpingtons, but BCMs have feathered legs, and Orpingtons have blueish legs and massive bodies, unlike this more slender chicken.

4. OldeDog

OldeDog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    South Mississippi
    Chicken have earlobes? Who knew (not me). I tried to look closely, but saw no white where I suspect earlobes are. Here is another pic. Forgot to add feet are yellow with speckles of blue. Don't hold me to that, I am partly color blind.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Veer67

Here's a chicken earlobe:

[​IMG]

6. Veer67

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a mix. Pure Andalusians would have slat legs, whereas she has green ones. Blue Orpingtons would have white legs. She's probably not a Blue Copper Marans, either, as they have more streaking on the breast/neck, and different colored legs. She's a pretty bird, whatever mix she is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by