What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carly Rae, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Carly Rae

Carly Rae In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    Australia
    Hi.
    Around 3 weeks ago I got 2 Frizzle chicks. I was told they were both Frizzles. They are 3 weeks old now, But I just noticed today that they have different feet. My little brown one has feet identical to my Silkies, but my bigger yellow one has 4 toes and not like my Silkies. Could I have a Silkie and a Frizzle? Or does the feet difference make a difference in the breed? I have photos if needed.

Thank you. :)

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Songster

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Pictures would be amazingly helpful :)

3. Carly Rae

Carly Rae In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    Australia
    Here are 2. They aren't the best, I'll try get some better ones of the brown one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Cel45

Cel45 Songster

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am not an expert, but the yellow one does not look frizzled to me. It looks kind of like a Buff Orp, but not very feathered in yet.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The big yellow one looks like a cockerel to me. It might be out of frizzles but this one isn't going to be. The other "dark one" looks to be a silkie cross, could be a sizzle.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Songster

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Yellow one isn't frizzled, the silkie'd one may be a little frizzled, wanna see more pictures though :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray Farms

8. smjshipley

smjshipley In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Seabrook SC
    my frizzles babies all had wing feathers that curled upward, I'm not an expert, but just my experience [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member 5 Years

Hi there Carly Rae

I agree that your little yellow one looks like it could be a boy and not frizzled. The darker one does look like a Silkie X, especially with the extra toe. I am also thinking possibly a sizzle but I am no expert [​IMG]

If it helps at all, this is a frizzled Silkie X at 3 weeks of age and then 4 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

"frizzle" inn't a breed, it's a genetic trait that makes the feathers funky. Your birds are both mixed breeds, probably with a frizzled parent. When breeding frizzles, you get about half non-frizzled chicks if you do it correctly. So, luck of the draw gave you one frizzled and one non-frizzled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by