what breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by megan chickens, Feb 14, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

She is a small hen about the size of my hand. She lays very small eggs and loves chicks. I hatched the chicks in my incubator but she took them in when she first laid eyes on them. I have had her for almost 3 years now and never knew what breed she is. I use to have a another small hen like her but she had fuzzy feet and fluffier feathers. Also i had a roster like her, he had big tail feathers. They got eaten by raccoons and i would love to get some more of these small chickens. I would like to have a little flock of them. My bigger chickens don't seem to mind her or the others i use to have. My big roster took quite a liking to her a few years back. Could some one please tell me her breed.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Spangled cornish bantam is my guess!

1 person likes this.
  3. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Her pattern looks almost mille fleur though. Where did you get her?

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like Cornish bantam cross to me. Doesn't look pure Cornish to me. Maybe crossed with a Old English game bantam.

5. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    I got her from my neighbor. I have no idea where she got her from. After looking up many small chicken breeds that's my guess too! She is also very hard. Most chickens are a bit squashy but she is as hard as a rock.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks so much your guess is better than mine don't know a lot about breeds i always say a chicken is a chicken![​IMG]

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The cornish are very muscular and stocky. Her thick legs and neck/head give that part of her heritage away. Gray Farms guess of her being mixed with OEGB sounds spot on, especially given the coloration. She's very pretty. I have a white laced red cornish that was in a bantam assortment shipment and I do like their look.

The OEGB may also explain her inclination to mother; I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that is typical of pure Cornish but I may be wrong.

8. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks so much for your help. Do you know where can i order some eggs or chicks of her breed online?

9. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Are you particular about color?

My preferred hatchery is Cackle but they won't do an order that small until May, I think. How many are you wanting and where do you live?

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by