What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aj1, May 26, 2010.

1. aj1

aj1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    The people I got these 12week old chicks from told me they were white leghorns. I'm not to sure cause they have some black ticking and a buff tent to some of their feathers and you can only see that when you get really close to them. Any suggestions would be great. I'm just wanting to know what they are cause I ended up with 3 roo's and need to get rid of 2 of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Not sure but I would guess its a Leghorn....

3. aj1

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    thats good i hope they are. can leghorns have some buff coloring and black ticking feathers here and there like this one in the pic? only the roos have this not the hens. also they fill slim no meat on breast and they dont eat much.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That's definitely not a Leghorn. The body type is wrong and I've never seen a leghorn with the buff tint to them. Looks to me like a Red Sex-link roo OR an Amber link. But definitely not a Leghorn, it's too bulky.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Possibly a white rock? although the off colour remains a mystery. Note the red earlobes? Definitely not a leghorn.

6. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    Rhode Island White, I'm going with Rhode Island White. [​IMG]

7. aj1

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    What color eggs do you think the hens will lay? I'm starting to think they are mutts or the lady i got them from just plain lied to me. She had them and some other chicks in a cage together and the other chicks were buff orpingtons and I know there is a white orpington as well. So is it possible this lady sold me some white orpingtons? Well im disappointed so i am going to sell them if anyone in the houston, conroe, cleveland TX area is interested i have 2 hens and 3 roo's will sell all for $25 [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I'd be interested in them. would you maybe be interested in some EE's? They're daddy was a leghorn mama is a mystery EE and both are white girls and I have a red spangled boy.

I'm about to be over run with EE's as I have nine under a broody hen that I know will hatch and deserate to get these out before then.

9. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I say some sort of red sex link boy, those are some beefy thick legs for a girl...he will be whiteish lol. I have seen a whole bunch of them sold as leghorn hens lately.

10. aj1

Mar 31, 2010
    Somewhere In, TX
    Here is a pic of a hen and 2 roo's.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by