what breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flockmarket, Aug 13, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    i have two chickens which i cant seem to find a specific breed of.

i think this one is an americana brahma cross. she lays greenish blue eggs and has ear muffs.
    [[URL='https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/103283_img_3160.jpg<br><br>this']https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/103283_img_3160.jpg

this[/URL] one lays pinkish eggs, shes got black specks, with dusty brown. i don't think shes a "mutt" but i can't find a real breed for her.
    [[img][URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/103283_img_3157.jpg[/URL][/img

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one looks like an Easter Egger (not Ameraucana), no Brahma in there. Why did you think she had Brahma in her?

The second one looks like a cross to me; of what, I have no idea, hard to say.

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I think there both easter eggers

4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    The second one looks like it might have some Lt. Sussex in her. They usually have straight combs though and lay cream/lt. brown eggs.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Maybe she's part Wyandotte? My SLW lays a pinkish brown egg, and Wyandottes have rose combs (traditionally... sometimes you'll get a hatchery bird with a single... [​IMG])

But yeah, she looks like a mix, and the first is an Easter Egger.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

7. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:well if you look up brahma on google, it shows the EXACT same color pattern, i didnt think easter eggers had ear muffs though?

8. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:thank you, i think thats the closest ill get to a breed. she is quite a beautiful "mutt" though, isnt she?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:well if you look up brahma on google, it shows the EXACT same color pattern, i didnt think easter eggers had ear muffs though?

Easter Eggers usually have muffs like Ameraucanas. What they do NOT have are ear tufts. Araucanas have those. Many birds have that color pattern, called Columbian.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

The Color Paten seen on a Light Brahma is very common pattern know as Columbian and can be seen a number of breeds such as Plymouth Light Brahma, Rocks, Sussex, Old English Game Bantams, etc.
    The bird in the Second Picture looks and sounds to be a cross breed or maybe a Easter Egger but not a Brahma and not even a Columbian pattern like a Light Brahma would have.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by