1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantamboy93, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    I bought a trio of bantams at the auction yesterday because they were some gorgeous birds. I'd never seen coloring quite like that. Not sure what breed they are. They lay a good sized white egg, if that helps any. I'm leaning towards OEG.... Just my opinion simply because there are so many different colors for the Old English. Wondered if y'all could help me out identifying what these are. The white tail with the blue feathers remind me of the OEG Blue Red Sport. But I realize that's not what they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know the breed but I really like their color!

3. the could be OEGs, but they're probably just beautiful mutts

4. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    there was another cage just like them. same people. i couldn't help but bid! $25 for these beauties.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If they are OEG, they probably have Mille Fleur in there -- the pattern resembles it, and I love it. Or they may be mutts.

6. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    Well in the event that they are mutts. (although i don't normally like mutts.), could it be reasonable to hope that the chicks would look quite similar to them? What with them all looking very similar and there being another cage with birds almost exactly the same? I hope so.. That's why i don't really like mixes/mutts. If you breed them, there's no telling what you'll get. You might get some gorgeous coloring or you may get some ugly chickens.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

they definately have Mille Fleur coloring, so Mille Fleur is in their background, its like a VERY high white Mille Fleur, I love them! Anyway, I think you would get very similar coloration with the offspring. Are OEG's legs yellow? I have only seen them with the very pale whitish legs and the dark slate legs, but I am not familiar enough with them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    well. i bought these birds hoping i could show y'all pics and i'd end up with some rare coloring or something... a bit of a diamond in the rough or something. Lol. But alas.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    <light bulb> Methinks I found it!! I think they are Calico OEGB, which, as Illia says here, is just Mille Fleur with excess white. [​IMG] These Calico Cochins have coloring and pattern very similar to yours.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    woohoo.. that would explain why there was a cage next to them that were almost exactly the same. If they were just mutts, there would be no consistency. Am i right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by