1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grumpypantsmomma, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    8 wk old chick given to me as a Buff Ameracauna! I am wondering though if she isn't something else! Maybe an EE or Buff Orpington!
    Any Suggestions as to what she is and is she a She or a He!? She is lacking poof in the cheeks, and her legs are actually pink, my camera makes all of my birds legs look yellow! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Others are way better at breed than I am, but am thinking the comb and wattles are pretty pronounced for 8 weeks so thinking she's a he...just my 2 cents and at the least, you've got a bump!

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    are you seeing pointy hackle feathers ? it looks like a buff orp ish cockerel

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Looks a lot like my BO pullets did at 8 weeks. My cockerels were considerably redder and larger in the comb by 4 weeks. However, she does look like she may be working on a beard there, so that would place her as an Ameracauna.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's a pullet. As far as breed, I'd say Buff Orp. Definitely not an Ameraucana. Her legs are yellow, she has a single comb, and I don't see anything that looks like a beard. Bearded birds are hatched with beards. And there are many other bearded breeds besides Ameraucanas, so beard does not = Ameraucana.

6. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Quote:I don't know why but me my camera makes pink legs look yellow in photos! Her legs are actually pink! could she be an EE with pink legs?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Quote:No pointy hackles or saddle feathers!

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't know why but me my camera makes pink legs look yellow in photos! Her legs are actually pink!

Ah, pink. [​IMG] But still, Ameraucanas have slate/greenish legs. BO have more of a yellowish/pink color.

9. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I did not know that all the bearded varieties start out with beards. I knew there were a few out there besides the Ameraucana but had no idea they start out looking all fluffy chinned. Kewl! Thanks for letting me know that.

Pinkish or yellowish legs on the BOs for sure. That's what these here have. Well, except for the one who has hot pink toe nails thanks to my nieces.

10. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:I did not know that all the bearded varieties start out with beards. I knew there were a few out there besides the Ameraucana but had no idea they start out looking all fluffy chinned. Kewl! Thanks for letting me know that.

Pinkish or yellowish legs on the BOs for sure. That's what these here have. Well, except for the one who has hot pink toe nails thanks to my nieces.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by