What breed is this!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ilikehorses2, Oct 2, 2012.

1. My hen just had a baby. I'm not sure what breed the hen or the chicken is!

[​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Does the hen have feathered legs? What kind of a rooster do you have?

3. No the hen does not have feathered legs and we are not sure what the rooster is either.[​IMG]

4. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    well first of all Hens don't "have" babies they lay an egg that is fertile and an egg can only get fertile if there is a rooster in with them...the hen for the next week or so will lay fertile eggs and when she thinks she as enough eggs in her clutch she sits on them for 3 weeks until the babies hatch...as for the breed of the mother could be a Silver Penciled Cochin if she has feathers on her legs...as for the chick(s) I dont know...the eggs she is sitting on did not necessarily all come from one hen they most likely come from some of your other hens...so the breed(s) of the chicks will vary upon the breeds of hens you have and also the breeds of roosters you have.

5. The chickens are all the same breed. I know that.[​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if all are the same breed could you get a picture of one standing and of the roo?

7. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    that is great! that means the chick(s) that will hatch are going to be the same breed as the parents! :)

8. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    Post pics of your other hens if you have any...and the rooster...make sure they are close up but still a full body from the side pic...that will give us an idea as to what breed they are...and also something that might help is where did you get them from...if you got them from a hatchery they are pure breed but if you got them from a local farm that has several breeds running together they could be "mutts"

9. The rooster is always hiding... I can never find him![​IMG]

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    She looks like a Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam. Are they very small chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by