What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Johnnycake, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Johnnycake

Johnnycake Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Hi

I started this as an experiment. Got dozen eggs from the super market and incubated them. Result was 4 hatched with these chicks. Does anyone know what breed are they?

[​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Congrats!!! That's not easy getting supermarket eggs to hatch!! Well I'm not to sure..... you will have to post more pica when they get older.

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I think they look like little speckeled Sussex!!!!

4. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Look like speckled sussex to me!

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

But don't speckled sussex usually have patterned chick down? These chicks look like they have no down markings, just yellow fuzz, and are now feathering out looking kind of partridgey. Otherwise I would have said brown leghorns, but the lack of markings on the face and stripes down the back doesn't make sense for either of those breeds.

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well yes leghorns sounds right because store eggs are usually from leghorns..... but i still am thinking sussex

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What color were the eggs?

sussex really don't lay well enough to be commercial layers. My guesses are white eggs=leghorns, brown eggs will be some type of sex link mix.

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of supermarket? Big chain like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? Local "health food" store?

If it's a store selling local eggs, they could be just about anything. There are people here that sell EE eggs to stores here.

My guess from the lack of markings in the down is that they are some sort of Production Red.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 on the Production Red, that makes a lot of sense based on coloration

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They are not leghorns or Sussex. Those are gonna be production reds if from a grocery store chain and from brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by