1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChckenBoy13, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    These are my two year old ____... That's right... I do not know exactly what they are and I was hoping you guys could help me out!
    Here is a picture of my brown and white chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (No, I was not holding the chicken upside down. i was holding my phone upside down.. sorry about that!)
    Here are some pictures of my black chicken.. I find this one funny because, until a month after it hatched, we didn't have any black chickens. About a month after it had hatched, we added a Dominique... Can you explain this also?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they look like mixes

3. ChckenBoy13

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    I thought that too but how did I get a black one when i only have white and brown chickens. I have a dominique now but I didn't when i got the eggs to hatch

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    because the white coloring mask other genes. it is appernt that one of your whites is carring the barring gene...you could even breed 2 white birds together and colored babies due to the masking of genes from the white

5. ChckenBoy13

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    Wow! We are learning about this in science class at school... Kind of ironic... But thanks!

6. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    They all look like mixes. And I agree with hdowden, one of them somewhere has a barred gene.

7. ChckenBoy13

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    Barred gene?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Some sort of mixed breeds.

9. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    the genes that produce a Barred Rock chicken that looks like this: (look at the chicken in the second post of this thread (click HERE).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by