What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlackAce, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    I hatched a couple chicks from my first batch I've ever done. They are supposed to be Rhode Islands Reds but supposedly these are white Rhode Island Reds? I thought they were only brown. Also, when can I tell what sex they are? They are about 5 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    There is a breed that is Rhode Island whites and both of your chicks are Roos

3. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    You mean Rooster? Sorry I'm a newb at this and some of lingo lol

Ok thanks, I never knew that there were white RIR. I always thought they were all brown.

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Songster

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yep, little roosters. But Rhode Island Whites are kinda rare (I think). Maybe they're sex-links (RIR crossed with something white, often White Rocks)? Do they have any red feathers poking through? Did they hatch from brown eggs?

5. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    Yup they hatched from brown eggs. All the eggs I had received were brown. I don't see any other color on them, they are both all white. I had a feeling they both were gonna be roosters. lol

I ordered them off eBay. I had 13 and only had these two hatch, it was my first time incubating eggs. I know the hatch rate isn't to good for shipped eggs and this being my first time I'm happy I got something. I have Cayuga duck eggs and more RIR eggs in my incubator now and they should be hatching next week.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, Rhode Island Whites are very rare and I thought they had rose combs, not a hundred percent on that. I think you got either white Rocks or something like that, and they both look like young roosters.

7. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    I took my chicks out today and noticed that one of them had a little bit of brown developing on the inside of the top right wing. The back of the neck also looks to have a slight brown tint to it.

I also noticed another thread that some one else posted about their breed. It looked exactly like the bird I have but it's 2 weeks older. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/809321/opinions-on-breed-and-gender#post_11724177

Someone stated that it was a Leghorn. Could these possibly be Leghorns also? Or white RIR's?

8. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    The combs looks to be exactly the same.

10. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia