What Breed Is This?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    We where told this is a Welsummer, but doesn't look like one. Our other chick looks exactly like one. They r 6 weeks old. Is there any way you could tell the gender?

(This is my first go at Welsummers)[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That appears to be a Speckled Sussex. Both SS and Welsummers look very similar when they are young, but once they grow in some feathers and lose their down, differences appear. SS will begin to show the white spangling on some of their feathers. Also, Welsummers have yellow legs, while SS have white legs (your chick has white legs, so it is a SS).

As for gender, that chick is a rooster. Female chicks don't have such large, red combs at six weeks of age.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a Speckled Sussex, not a Welsummer. Speckled Sussex look like Welsummers as chicks, but develop white legs and some spangling (white spots) on their feathers. Welsummers have yellow legs, not white.

And, you have a rooster. No six week old pullet would have such a large comb as that.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, Speckeled Sussex rooster.

5. walkingcrow3

walkingcrow3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    I feel that it is a speckled sussex rooster as well. I have both breeds and they really do look similar as chicks, but the sussex ends up getting that whitened breast and then the mottled white speckles as they grow.

6. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Speckled Sussex cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by