What breed/Kind of Quail is this?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kathryn4629, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Just wondering what breed and or kind of quail this is? I am sure its an easy answer but every time I look them up, all of the 'area/ranges' seem to be wrong. They have a huge population around here in North Idaho. The other morning I counted 57 in the front yard [​IMG]

Thanks so much [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    That is the California quail aka Valley quail.

3. Kathryn4629

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Quote:Thank you! I thought it was the California Quail, but I told someone that the other day and they told me that was impossible because, "There is no way they would survive the winter" [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Thank you! I thought it was the California Quail, but I told someone that the other day and they told me that was impossible because, "There is no way they would survive the winter" [​IMG]

SURE THEY CAN, BUT YOU ARE DEFINATELY NOT WITHIN THEIR NORMAL RANGE. PERHAPS SOMEBODY TRIED A STOCKING PROGRAM THERE IN THE PAST... MANAGED TO GET A SMALL BREEDING POPULATION ESTABOLISHED? [​IMG] 1 THING FOR SURE IF WILD VALLEYS ARE THERE IN IDAHO THEY HAVE DEFINATELT TAKEN A WRONG TURN SOMEWHERE

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    They are wide spread in Oregon Southern Idaho, and even up into northern Washington state. Sounds like you had a group cross state lines or head north a bit more. In eastern Oregon there is two feet of snow in the winter and the Valley quail do just fine year in and out. We fed them cause we loved to look out the kitchen window and watch them too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That just doesn't seem right...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  7. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:It's probably not really that far out of their range for them to be seen in Northern Idaho. Their range goes up North into Canada along the west coast and through out Southern Idaho so only a hundred miles or so out of range. They are pretty hardy in the winters so the weather wouldn't be a concern.

8. Kathryn4629

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Well I have no idea if its right or not, but they are sure thriving here [​IMG] I dont believe that anyone around here raises, and or releases them. Its a very very small community so I would more than likely hear about it.

I just LOVE watching them!! Today the males were doing what I call the "chest bump" soooo cute.

9. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    It is that time of year [​IMG] I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by