What breed laid this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by qwigoqwaga, Nov 11, 2015.

1. qwigoqwaga

qwigoqwaga Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    One of our hens, a Barnevelder, has been laying eggs almost every day for the past few weeks. Today we got an egg that looks different. It's lighter an much more spotty (some of her eggs have been a little spotty but not this much). As far as we're aware, our Plymouth Rock hasn't laid any eggs yet, but she should be old enough to start now. Do you think this one could possibly be hers instead?

Here's the new egg:
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple that are definitely the Barnevelder's.
    [​IMG]

And just for comparison:
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think that's still from the barnvelder, I think barred rock eggs are a bit lighter, though mine hasn't layed in years so I'm not positive, I do love my barnvelders.

3. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I know my delware generally lay light colored eggs but i gotten a few darker ones from them that i watched them lay i first thought we had more laying at the time but we didnt we do now but i have no clue on whose is whose anymore since they all are darker in color.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pigment can change a bit from day to day...or once in a while.....nothing to worry about.

5. qwigoqwaga

Mar 2, 2015
    Ok. I figured the color would vary some, but I wasn't sure how much.

6. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    They are the same color overall so I think its fair to say its the same birds. More speckles is not a big deal. Just adds a little pizzaz to your egg basket. Nothing to worry about. I recently played who laid this egg myself with some of our girls and we finally figured out that the one we thought was laying had just started and the one who we thought had not was laying the whole time.....funny how that can be. We had to catch them in act before we solved it. But we knew it was different birds because the two shades of green were different as well as the shape. (see below)
    [​IMG]

7. qwigoqwaga

Mar 2, 2015
    Ok, more guessing games now. We got a new egg today that is definitely not the Barnevelder's, which means one of the other two started laying. It's either the Plymouth Rock or the Araucana. What do you think? It's small so it seems like it could be the Araucana's but I thought they were supposed to lay blue/green eggs?

Here's some pictures of it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It depends. Do you really have Araucana? Or are they hatchery Easter Eggers?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess would be the rock.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Check pelvic points:
    2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by