what breed lays dark spotted eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by applebutter14, Feb 22, 2015.

1. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    hi, iv'e been wanting a breed that lays dark spotted eggs but i dont know what breed lays them! if any one could tell me that would be a great help! thanks.

HERE IS THE COLOR I WAS TALKING ABOUT:

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Those look like welsummer eggs - welsummers are known for laying the dark reddish eggs with dark spots, so that's probably the breed you're looking for :) Marans eggs can also look like that, more towards the end of the laying cycle, as their eggs tend to get lighter the longer they've been laying. I believe Penedesencas can also lay eggs like that.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    thanks! thats eggs-actly what i wanted to know!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Welsummer are the frequent layers of the speckeled. For the rich terracotta color they are famous for you'd want to obtain from a breeder and not hatchery.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a welsummer. I have a welsummer hen from Meyer Hatchery that lays beautiful dark terracotta-colored eggs with dark brown speckles. Now I wish I would have gotten 2 or 3 welsummers instead of just 1!

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I agree, I get eggs like that from our Welsummers. I've heard that hatcheries are generally unreliable re egg color, so I bought from a breeder and have been very happy with them. Got *lots* of chicks from them now too, so our beautiful roos are doing their job well too.

7. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    thanks for all of the info!! it really helped

8. Arwenelfmaiden

Arwenelfmaiden Out Of The Brooder

Black Copper Marans

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welsummers and Marans that are from lines bred for egg color can both produce those eggs - the key is that you want to source birds who are bred with that as a focus characteristic. Hatchery/production bred birds are less likely to have the most desired shell coloration as they are not being bred selectively for that.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Too many spots for well bred Marans. Best Marans eggs are that color but solid dark brown, no spots. If I had Marans once again and one started laying eggs spotted like that, I would not be happy, would not breed it.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by