What breed lays green eggs and what is the best breed for white eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sierrarod, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    I don't care for the olive green eggs, but I like the truer pale green eggs. I know the true Ameraucana lay blue.

For a white egg layer I don't want something flighty or that needs to free range. Is there such a thing as a friendly, easy going white egg layer? When I reasearch the various white egg layers they all say flighty. Campine?

THANK YOU!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My Polish are the furthest from flighty, they're in fact so friendly they're stubborn. And I'm not saying they're blind and friendly, no, their crests are clipped. . . They're just plain sweet, calm, outgoing. . . And love to perch on my arm, shoulder, back, whatever. And great producers of white eggs. [​IMG]

As for pale green eggs. . . Easter Eggers. [​IMG] Your best bet is to look for someone who bred a light brown layer x blue layer. There you'll have light green eggs from.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Easter Eggers are a crap shoot. They can lay any color eggs, but my Lily lays lovely true pale green eggs. If you got several EE's, you should have a good chance for green egg.

[​IMG]

Her egg is the green one on the right. The pink one in the middle came from a GLW.

[​IMG]

This is Lily back a couple of months ago when she was about 16 weeks old.

Quote:

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have a couple California Whites, and though they are mostly Leghorn, they're really not flighty at all. A little more skittish than the others, but really quite calm and curious. They have a bit of Barred Rock in them, which I think calms them down. And BIG white eggs. One has bee laying non stop for 18 months now. She didn't even stop to molt this fall. I don't light them in winter, and she still lays almost every day.

I think Ideal sells them. They also sell Easter Eggers, which are great for big green eggs. They probably call them "Americanas" or something that's not quite Ameraucana. My EE from Ideal is pretty much my favorite chicken. Sweet, calm, pretty, and a good layer of minty green eggs.

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    On the Campine issue, I also have a Campine. She lays a nice white egg. Until she started laying she was very flighty. Couldn't catch her if I had to (and she was handled from the time I got them at 3 days of age. When she started squatting, she turned into a different chicken (sweet, friendly, lapchicken). She is a real character -- 2/3 the size of the others (2 Dels, a GLW, a PR, an EE, and a Welsumer). Some days she is my favorite. That said, she has no problem flying the length of my yard and right over the 4' fence. She doesn't do it often, but she is perfectly capable of it. (She was terrified and wanted back in desperately to be with the rest of the flock). She's adorable. If you want personality plus, get a campine, but be aware they can be quirky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by