What breed lays these color eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by busyteacher, Aug 9, 2011.

1. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    I thought I had it all figured out which girls were laying which eggs, but after some reading around here I am confused on all but one! I will post a picture. It is obvious who the blue/green egg belongs to. It's the others that puzzle me. We get a dark brown egg with speckles everyday. Every three days that speckled egg is double the size and double yolked. The other two eggs are the same color. Some days they are light brown and some days they are more white. Usually a couple of the lighter ones are large and two are medium sized. Here are our girls breeds: 1 Buff Orpington, 3 Black Australorp, 2 Barred Rock, and 1 Aracauna. Any help in identifying what breed might be laying the speckled egg and the light ones would be great! I have several in the incubator and would like to know what will hatch out of what!! Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Unless you catch the speckled egg layer in the act, it could be any of the brown egg layers. Though if you got your birds from a hatchery, your Araucana is an Easter Egger. 'tis a deceptive hatchery practice to sell EEs under the Araucana or Ameraucana name, both established breeds, and no hatchery actually sells either breed.

3. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    No we didn't get any of our birds from a hatchery. That still doesn't mean we weren't deceived though. Here is a picture of her when we first got her. I know it's a horrible picture, but it is the only one I have. We don't know much about breeds of birds we just took his word for it on all of ours. The speckled egg layer lays in the middle of the day when we are at work of course! It seems to me the Buff always lays in the nesting box. And now that we have just one of that breed her egg is pretty easy to spot. I have never seen a Barred Rock hen in the nesting box which is why I thought it was them. Maybe when the chicks hatch I will know for sure!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say the eggs your EE lays qualifys it to be called an OE - and "Olive Egger!"

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The speckled egg is probably from one of the Barred Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by