1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed lays very dark brown eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Oct 23, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    What breed lays those dark brown eggs and do they have a good laying record and are they cold hardy? I'd like to get different colored eggs so my customers can have a variety of colors. And do they lay large eggs? [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Marans, big eggs, don't have the other answers for you though, as I do not have any...

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Marans. (But I do not recommend the cuckoo type from hatcheries at all!)

Black Copper Marans in particular can lay pretty well, are very cold hardy, and very good all around breed. Oh, and they lay a very large egg. [​IMG]

Here's an example of what mine give:

[​IMG]

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Go for Black Copper Marans, or Welsummers. You must get them from a breeder. I'd really recommend starting with eggs so you can see the egg color you will expect.

Do some research. There are plenty of places for great birds, and plenty of places for birds that will lay a plain brown egg.

They aren't a frequent layers as most chickens. It takes them 2-3 days to make each dark egg, so from the production standpoint, they're not the best. But they DO look great in the carton.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Black Copper Marans lay my darkest eggs....

And the spotted ones are laid by Golden Cuckoo Marans... blue by my Ameraucanas, white by my leghorn, light brown- Delli mix

[​IMG]

6. 4hens4us

4hens4us Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Reno
    Illia, those are amazing looking eggs. I had no idea eggs could be that dark brown. Very pretty.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    My black copper marans laid really big dark eggs. She consistently gave me one every other day. She's taken almost two months off now- she's molting.

[​IMG]

8. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My two little Production Reds lay a chocolate brown egg.

They are the best layers I have ever had -- they lay about 29 days out of every month as long as I give them milk at least one day a week, and their eggs are very large, always AA quality.

As an added bonus, they are the friendliest little hens...

9. darkbrowneggs

darkbrowneggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Worcester England
    Hi - thats interesting how much milk do you give per hen, and is it full cream, skimmed or semi-skimmed

All the best
    Sue

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:WOW! [​IMG] That is amazing...I have BIG DARK EGG envy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by