what breed makes the best broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by five is my dog, Jul 4, 2013.

1. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    I know that silkies, cochins, and buff orpingtons make very good broodys but is there another one? I was hoping to get a broody hen for the spring of next year.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Any hen can go broody, mixes too. You can usually go out to any farm and get a $5 broody hen that doesn't lay eggs like that *snaps*.

Other good ones to look at are: Old English Game Bantams, Japanese Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams etc.

3. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    thank you!!

4. hcsarg

hcsarg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a BR that just came off the nest. SHE was on for 5 weeks and hatched 12 chicks, but only 6 survived. It was our first experience with a hatch. 2 of the chicks died from literally being pinned under other eggs in the clutch, one appeared to have been under develop, and the other 3 died within 48 hours of the hatch. The 6 survivors are in the brooder doing fine.
    I was happy that she stayed on long enough to get my flock replenished but disappointed with losing half the hatch.
    [​IMG]

5. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    awww that's so sad [​IMG]

6. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Silkie mixes are fantastic broodies. I have one that is worth her weight in gold.

7. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    cool that's what i'm getting !!!!! will she be on the nest like every morning? not that that would be bad [​IMG]

8. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Mine are Silkie/Americana crosses. Agnes lays 6 days a week when she is not broody, and steals every egg she can get when she is broody. She is a fantastic girl :)

9. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

10. peggyparker

peggyparker New Egg

Aug 25, 2015
    This is a slightly different question: I want a sustainable flock of 6-8 layers. My hens are all fine layers, Bantam and B.Orpinton mixes. I selected a newly hatched American Leghorn ROOSTER to join my flock after my own rooster died a few months ago.
    Now I'm told that American Leghorns have had the "broody" gene bred out of them. Anyone heard this or can confirm otherwise? I was advised to get a cross, a Buff Orpinton or Banty rooster for sustainable flock replenishment for layers. I just want the eggs. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by