What breed makes this sound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warmheart, Mar 20, 2013.

1. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    The little rescue hen we brought home a few days ago is so unwell, we cannot really tell her breed. To be honest, she looks like:
    A Swedish Flower hen .... but with the slight muffs and poofy neck to hint at Ameraucana/Easter Egger, and has a Belgian D'anvers tail.
    A Belgian D'anvers..........but she's got a straight (single) comb and is almost Ameraucana-sized.
    Any such thing as a jumbo D'anvers with straight comb, pink legs? Her color is (this is bizarre and gorgeous!) Mille Fleur over quail. (honest)

She makes a sound I've never heard before from a chicken: A high-pitched "Brrrrt. Brrrrt." when I pick her up gently or something new happens to her. We've had other rescues just as weak/debilitated, and they made the usual chicken bawking, although it was a bit warble-y.

What breed makes this "Brrrrt" sound? Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guinea of some kind?

3. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Chuckling here! [​IMG] I honestly haven't heard a chicken that makes this sound! [​IMG] But she's a hen, perhaps a D'anvers or D'uccle mix? What sounds do those breeds make?[​IMG] Anything like this?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Vocalization means don't touch me.

5. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Hmmm, that could be it. She's still frightened and healing while being cared for here indoors. I'm being extra gentle with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by