1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed might this hen and rooster be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyblue, Jan 5, 2010.

1. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I was given these little guys as peeps and told they where EE's. the rooster was a lighter colored chipmunk and the hen a dark colored chipmunk. however all grown up they have, to my eye, no EE traits at all. are they just very muttly chickens or a cross of something specific? the first is the hen, then the egg she may have laid on the right hand side. it looks nothing at all like all the BOs eggs that have been laying for months. last of all is the rooster with his ugly pink legs...naturaly pink not pecked at or anything they have been yellow and pink from when he was tiny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, but I do see some coloring in your female that resembles my EE. But my EE has a pea comb and muffs. So I say you have an EE crossed with something else.

The roo I have no clue, except I can tell he's barred.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Now that I think about it, your female could be a welsummer cross. She's got the salmon colored chest, black in the neck feathers and gray undercoat that my welsummer pullets have.

Geez, I'm no help. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    The roo looks like a golden cuckoo maran maybe crossed, or maybe just a throw off that the black shows through.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The pink in his legs is due to male hormones. Roosters legs do that.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Now that people know EEs are mutts, they call every cross bred chicken an EE. I don't see any EE characteristics in those birds either, so you are correct in thinking that's not what they are. They are just a cross of 2 chickens..no special name unless you can figure out what crosses made them and since there's no blue egg gene involved, definitely no EE in there. That rooster is really cool looking!

8. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    I think the hen looks like a welsummerXRIR or something close to that.

9. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Female's neck and tail remind me of my Welsummers. Roo,, that's a different story. I had one like him and someone suggested some barred red sexlink cross. Beauty, though.

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:THANK YOU, I was wondering if there was something wrong with my roo's legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by