1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

what breed name do i have??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by droopy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. droopy

droopy In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    i bought my chicks at TSC and the guy said they were a cross of rhode island reds and new hampshire whites but i have no clue as to which breed was the roo. i will try to get some pictures up later but 4 of them are mostly red and two are about half white. they were sold as day old pullets and at 16 weeks still no crowing or saddle feathers so i think i'm safe to assume they're all girls. big question is are they golden comets, cinnamon queens, red stars or are these all just different local names for the same breed

thanks,ty

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Miss read your post sorry.

I will Re-post.
    Chris

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    All of the names you listed are basically the same sex-linked cross. Hatcheries just give them different names. Most often you hear them called Gold Sex-links or Golden Comets. They are technically cross breeds, but have a name given to them since they are such a popular cross. They should lay brown eggs for you.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:First let me say there is no such breed as a "New Hampshire White".
    Could it be a Rhode Island White crossed with a New Hampshire?

If so then it could be a Sex-link if the Rooster was the New Hampshire and the Hen was the Rhode Island White.
    In this cross the Cockerels would be White and the Pullets would be Red.

If the cross was the other way around then it would be just a cross...

Chris

5. droopy

droopy In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    ok thank you. i guess i'll call them all golden comets since lord knows what would come out of my kids mouth if they tried saying they were sex links lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by