1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of call ducks are these??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jubylives, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I think they are Grays but his head hasn't turned green yet so now I have no real idea what they are. The guy I bought them from didn't know as he was selling them for a neighbor. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The breed is call duck...the color is grey. [​IMG]

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Call ducks are all the same breed. The only difference is the color:)
    Those are greys(which is a Mallard pattern)

4. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Oops got the terminology mixed up a bit there (note sig below) How old will he be when his head turns green or if it does? I got them this last fathers day. No idea how old they were then.

jeremy

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Grey's.....the male looses his coloring during molt, it will re-apear.

6. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Quote:He never had it which is what had me concerned. I grew up with Mallards and kinda remember the molting but they had the green head to begin with. Hopefully I'm worried for nothing and he's too young yet.

jeremy

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    We have/had a pretty brown Mallard named Lily, who at 3 months, decided to start getting some black tinted feathers in 'her' head, which then started turning green. At the same time, 'her' body feathers started changing from brown to grey. Sneaky Lily has become Louie and my daughter is none too happy about it. So boy Mallards are definitely not born with green heads.
    What Lily looked like up til a couple weeks ago. I need to get a new pic of 'him' now.
    [​IMG]

I have two gray Call ducks that both look like female mallards right now, but I am just waiting for one or both of them to turn into boys! I named them Hansel and Gretel, just on the off chance one might remain a girl lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by