What breed of chick did they sell me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Caliphe, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Caliphe

Caliphe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm brand new here, but I thought you Chicken People could help me! I love this forum and have enjoyed lurking for the past few months!

So a few days ago I went to Coastal Farm and Ranch with the intention to buy one, solitary Polish chick! I was very excited, because she was to be my fancy chicken! Unfortunately, the chick I picked doesn't appear to be a Polish and I'm having trouble distinguishing what breed she might be. I'm thinking she's possibly a Barred Plymouth Rock. Any thoughts? She's growing much slower than the rest of my chicks and her beak is a bit funny. Thanks in advance for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I am not sure what it is but I don't think it is a barred rock. Could be a Partridge rock?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. arohli

arohli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    Yep, she looks like a Barred Rock to me. I'm sorry it's not the kind you wanted...but Barred Rocks are wonderful chickens!

4. kiwismom

kiwismom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes it a barred rock .Can anyone answer my chick question?

5. Caliphe

Caliphe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I love her anyway, but I'm super sad! It was my responsibility to make sure I picked the correct chick out of the Polish straight run bin, but there WAS an employee there who was helping who also didn't know the difference. I wish the employees who handled the chicks were more knowledgeable on breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by