1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of chicken are the broodiest!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    I have been trying to find out which chickens go broody the most! Because I am getting tired of the incubator and I want to try something new!!! I have heard that silkies are the best, then Cochins, and even turkens? Which breeds are truly the best!?!? Please help me out here!!!

2. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Silkies!

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    You heard right about silkies and cochins! I have a silkie and a cochin that like to go broody together in the same nest! Silkies are very broody and very sweet. But large fowl cochins are bigger hens and can thus cover and hatch more eggs. Something to consider if you hatch a lot of eggs at once. I would definately recommend both breeds as potential broodies.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok I am going to try to find some!!! What is the best way to get silkies!?

5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I lucked in to mine this spring at Tractor Supply...it will be good luck if they end up being girls! They had assorted syrait run bantums, and without knowing what I was getting I picked up a white and a black.

6. speckiedoodle

speckiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    I have found my Speckled Sussex to be really broody and super sweet to boot.

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Silkies, it's even in the book!

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Silkies
    American Games

Got Both,hatched from both.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Silkies then Cochins. Other breeds are broody but these two are the Broody Queens of the chicken world.

10. jed2012

jed2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    my cochin didnt go broody before she died unexpectedly, and she was almost a year old! so i say silkies. also i have a oegb and she's supposed to a REALLY broody breed too, and shes been around for a year and a half and she hasnt gone broody either. and she stopped laying around june and hasnt laid one egg since. horrible if you are raising chickens for eggs, but amazing if you are breeding them for their beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by