1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed of chicken? do you know the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coachYania, Apr 1, 2015.

1. coachYania

coachYania Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hi, this is my first time incubating, 3 if my 4 fertile eggs hatched yesterday, I got the eggs from a farm, no idea what they are.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first one has 5 toes. Thanks.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Do you think you could go back to the farm and find out? It's already hard enough to try and guess chicks especially when you don't know what breeds of chicken may have been responsible. I think the one with your five toes is a dorking (white) I doubt it's a houdan because I see no crest and those have crests. There are five breeds of chicken with five toes but the other three have feathered shanks.
    I would not know on the other two because there's such a disperse world of chickens out there it'd be hard to guess right here and then. If you were to wait until the five week mark it might be easier to tell, that and gender as well.
    But good luck on your birds anyways.

3. coachYania

Feb 23, 2015
    Thank you! The farm said they don't keep track as they dont sell eggs for hatching, they collect all the eggs together. But gonna wait until they are bigger, thanks again for replying.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chances are they are farmyard mixes. Most farms that don't keep track because they don't sell hatching eggs are not interested in breeds but in just having laying hens and meat birds. They tend to let their flock roam together rather than penning up breeds carefully together.

So they likely have a mix of popular breeds. I like my farmyard mixes. They are very unique, pretty, hardy, and if layer type, excellent layers.j

The top bird looks like it might have a beard/muff...which may mean an EE on the premises or Favorelle. The bottom bird looks black skinned and 5 toed, so a Silkie is likely running around too.

LofMc

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the black one have feathered feet? If so, then it is probably a Black Silkie. I'm not sure about the other chicks; they may just be mixes. It is too young to tell gender.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. coachYania

Feb 23, 2015
    No, none of them have feathered feet

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. coachYania

Feb 23, 2015