What breed of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skweaky30, Jul 8, 2016.

1. skweaky30

skweaky30 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    What breed of chicken is this?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Mixed breed. It may have some New Hampshire in the background, but something else is responsible for those blue tail feathers.

3. skweaky30

skweaky30 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you! I have Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, a Brown Leghorn, Light Brahmas, and a Plymouth Barred Rock... but I had no clue what this chicken was. After researching, I can see she definitely has New Hampshire in her. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Uhh, I'm pretty sure that's a male. How old?

5. skweaky30

skweaky30 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    13 weeks tomorrow. I have 2 other chickens that are the exact same age & one is definitely a rooster. He's already crowing & has a distinct large comb and wattles. So I assumed this chicken was a hen.

6. skweaky30

skweaky30 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    The Dark Cornish rooster from the other thread is also 13 weeks old. He is the one I was talking about that was crowing had a large comb & wattles.

7. skweaky30

skweaky30 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of the Dark Cornish rooster, the New Hampshire (hen?) and my other Light Brahma hen.

[​IMG]
    The New Hampshire (hen?) is the far left red chicken. Beside it is a Rhode Island Red. (there are also Buffs, Black Star and a Black Australorp in the mix). The Dark Cornish rooster is center. The far right Light Brahma is also a rooster (we have at least 3 roosters... I know we will need to get rid of a few). They'll all turn 13 weeks tomorrow. We bought all of them as chicks at the same time from Atwoods Feed Supply store. Do you still think the New Hampshire could be a rooster?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breed, I think it looks kinda gamey around eyes and head

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a male. I'm wondering if it's one of the meatiy hybrids like a Rainbow or a Pioneer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by