What breed of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleChickenLady, May 8, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Hello. I have this chicken that I think is a roo, but I don't know what he is.
    He doesn't seem to have a tail.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry that the pictures aren't the best and please excuse the mud, it's been raining non-stop for the past two weeks. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance.

2. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    It looks exactly like my light brahma except it doesn't look like it has feathered legs. Here's a photo of mine.

[​IMG]

3. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    maybe a lakenvelder?

4. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:Yours is very pretty. [​IMG]

Am I right in saying that I think it's a cockerel?
    It's about, almost two months old?

5. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    That would be my guess but I am NO expert. It took me about a month to sort through the chicks I got this past spring to figure out which one was which. [​IMG] I posted A LOT of pictures on BYC for help.

6. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    This one is the only one that I'm stuck on.
    It just doesn't look anything like the rest of my chickens. [​IMG]
    I looked up the Lakenvelder and they are more white than mine, plus they have tails.
    Not saying mine won't grow a tail, but all my other chickens have pretty good sized tails by now, and this one doesn't at all.

7. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have three ideas:

1. I know of without a tail (and the same leg color) is the Araucana. So a possibility but I think it is doubtful because the breed only comes in these colors: Black, White, Blue, Golden Duckwing, Silver Duckwing, Black-Breasted Red. Your chicken is none of them but could be a mixture of two or more that produced the "splashing"

2. An Easter Egg Chicken that has the Araucana bloodline and has the tail-less genes. To get the Easter Egg Chicken hatcheries mix this breed (or the Ameraucana) to an egg-type breed (like the Leghorn) to produce a chicken that lays a lot of colored eggs. They do this because Araucana chickens are medium level egg producers and this mixture of breeds produces a chicken with higher egg production rates. Most of the time these chickens have tails because they receives the genes from the egg-type parent. Sometimes, they will follow the other side and have no tail at all. They are not for show because of this reason, no one knows what an adult will look like until it is grown. They often are bearded or muffed (but not always, I have an EE roo who isn't) and have blue legs.

3. Light Brahma who is "Hatchery Quality" and his genetic make-up did not create the feather-legging of the breed standard and created a blue legged chicken. This is not a big deal unless you planned on showing this chicken. He will still adhere to the normal Light Brahma breed characteristics like being large, friendly and easy to handle. To get a chicken with a genetic defect is not uncommon with chickens ordered from large scale chick producers. (I would only be upset if I had purchased him from a private breeder of Light Brahmas)

I am leaning toward EE because of the blue legs. Light Brahma's have yellow legs and I doubt that a Hatchery (even the worst) could produce a chicken with two genetic defaults. and he matches none of the color variations of the Araucana. But I am not 100% sure of anything

My Best Advice: Just keep him as a pet! If any of my guesses are correct, he will be a friendly chicken. The three breeds I mentioned are all friendly and nice looking birds. This is a very confusing rooster. In fact, Where did he come from?

Hope this helps

Timothy from KY [​IMG]

8. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:Thanks!

He's probably an Easter Egger then. I was just really confused about it because of him not having a tail.

I got him from one of our local feed stores. I wasn't planning on showing him, and actually he's supposed to be a girl..but you know how that goes. [​IMG]
    I'm actually not going to keep him, because I can't keep roosters in my neighborhood.

My grandma and I were thinking about getting a run set up at my great-grandparent's house so they can take my roosters (I think I have two) and maybe get them a couple hens.
    My great-grandpa is 87 and my great-grandma is 80. She works, and he's had several strokes, so he stays home and takes care of the dog and keeps up the yard.
    Sadly, the dog isn't doing too well so my grandma thinks that if he has something else to do once she dies, he won't start going downhill as fast. [​IMG]

9. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky

He's probably an Easter Egger then. I was just really confused about it because of him not having a tail.

I got him from one of our local feed stores. I wasn't planning on showing him, and actually he's supposed to be a girl..but you know how that goes. [​IMG]
    I'm actually not going to keep him, because I can't keep roosters in my neighborhood.

My grandma and I were thinking about getting a run set up at my great-grandparent's house so they can take my roosters (I think I have two) and maybe get them a couple hens.
    My great-grandpa is 87 and my great-grandma is 80. She works, and he's had several strokes, so he stays home and takes care of the dog and keeps up the yard.
    Sadly, the dog isn't doing too well so my grandma thinks that if he has something else to do once she dies, he won't start going downhill as fast. [​IMG]

I personally thought it looked like a hen but I am terrible at guessing gender. But if it is a hen then you will know for sure if it is EE when it lays a colored egg! If not then is probably my third guess. Don't worry things will get better, they do go downhill sometimes but they always start back up again!

10. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama

I personally thought it looked like a hen but I am terrible at guessing gender. But if it is a hen then you will know for sure if it is EE when it lays a colored egg! If not then is probably my third guess. Don't worry things will get better, they do go downhill sometimes but they always start back up again!

I hope it's a hen. That'd be great!
    I guess even if we do give s/he to my great-grandparents I know that they are being taken care of.
    Not only that, they can get some cool looking eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by