1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bestchickens, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    So awhile ago I got this hen from a poultry show. She has feathers on her feet and she has short legs and is very small.[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a Cochin/EE cross to me, unless I'm forgetting/don't know the breed.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Do you know if she is supposed to be pure bred? She looks like a cochin with a beard, too fluffy and not upright to be a D'uccle. Is she laying? Could be a cochin/silkie or cochin/EE

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's not pure, or not a very good example of the breed. I'm guessing cochin, but the tail isn't rounded/fluffy enough and I don't think that's a color for cochins.

5. Bestchickens

Jul 4, 2012
    I'm not sure if she's purebred but I got 4 other hens (2 buff silkies,white Cochin, splash Cochin) and they are all purebred. She isn't laying yet. She used to be kind of flighty but she has calmed down. And if she was half silkie wouldn't she have the extra silkie toe?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Could she be a gold-laced cochin crossed with an EE?

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a mix

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I doubt it, she would have muddy lacing, or at least that's the results Ive had/seen with 1 laced parent.

If one one the parents had 5 toes, she would have a 50% chance of getting them, same with the crest and black skin, which she doesnt have either. I was trying to think of a bantam breed with a beard and feathered legs. Can you contact the breeder you got her from and ask if they know?

9. Bestchickens

Jul 4, 2012
    The lady said that she didn't know what they were and that she just bought the eggs and hatched them.

10. Bestchickens

Jul 4, 2012
    You can see how small she is compared to my young barred rock roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by