1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of chicken lays a green egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by malkered, Feb 19, 2016.

1. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This egg came as part of some mail order eggs which are supposed to be a mixture of pure breed bantam eggs. However it is a relatively large egg and is a pale green.

What breed might this be from?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Egger or Araucana (since you're in the UK) mix.

3. malkered

Thank you for your reply.

The egg is fairly large and easily the same size as the eggs laid by my LF RIR hens so I'm not sure whether it is a bantam or not. Is the egg size a good indication?

If it's likely to be a larger bird then I'm considering taking it out of the incubator and putting it under my broody hen with the eggs she is on at present. The hatch dates are the same.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It could be a bantam double yolker, in which case, I don't recommend incubating; or LF.

5. malkered

It's been in the incubator for 9 days, is fertile and looks perfectly normal on candling. So it may well be LF.

6. gpeters3

gpeters3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI

On my screen it looks brown, here's my green eggs with some brown ones:

[​IMG]

Here is the hen that lays them: (Shiny solid Black)

[​IMG]

Anyone care to guess? (I have no clue) She came from a commercial egg farm as a rooster damaged cull.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are you sure it's the black one laying the green eggs? The Legbar on the left is the more likely green/blue layer.

8. malkered

Definitely green!

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yeah, the eggs are green, but are you absolutely certain it's the black hen that is laying them?

10. gpeters3

gpeters3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI

Well..........Ive had the other ones for a while and all I got were brown eggs. Now she is laying and IM getting green and very large as well, larger than any of the brown ones. Now you mention it, I can't remember if my stepson gave us two from that farm but I think it was just the one and the other 4 were already laying for a few seasons. Ill have to try to see for sure. I'm 70 years old and a caregiver so I tend to forget things like that sometimes........ Do Merans lay colored eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by