What breed of chicken should I get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marleylulu, Jan 11, 2013.

1. marleylulu

marleylulu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    Ontairio
    All 5 of my recent chickens got attacked and killed by a weasle, we are trying to get rid of the waesle (it lives under out barn) and then by this spring we`re getting some more chicks! I want a breed of bantam (i was leaning towards silkies) but i also want a calm and lovable (if a chicken could be lovable..) breed. ALL your posts will be helpful, Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I don't know much about bantams, I prefer standards myself. Delawares would get my vote. Mine are still small, but they're calm and tame with me, yet they aren't as nervous as other chicks I've had, and they can defend themselves quite well, especially as they get older. I've seen a couple of them catch and eat flies when one flew too close.

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I love them all. But a was very close to a Cochin as a kid and still find myself gravitating toward them.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I've been thinking of getting a silkie.

Seramas are nice, I have a couple of them.

5. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    I have four 17 week old silkies right now and they are my favorite out of the 7 breeds I have. in the spring I'm getting 3 more of black, splash, and buff in the spring. Overall they are friendly, calm, and gentle. The only thing I don't know is how they lay. I have a roo and he is just starting to crow. Ho only crows around 6-10 times a morning and then stops for the day.

6. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are going with a batnam breed I would go with silkies.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Dutch bantams are great too. They are pretty spunky but loveable , great layers too.

8. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Silkies, cochins, and sultans are my favorite breeds of bantam. I also hear great things about bantam barred rocks and they are gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by