1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of chicken???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andaloosa, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Andaloosa

Andaloosa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew what breed of chicken was used for FFA. I do know that they are considered a meat chicken. A friend's son was raising some for his FFA club and she gave me 3 live hens, since I like to keep a few chickens around the horses for fly control.

These chickens are all white and really fat. They never get up into the roost since they are so heavy and uncoordinated. I've never weighed one, but I'd estimate 7-10 pounds each. I've also never seen any of them scratch for food.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but can take some if no one knows off-hand what kind they are.

Thanks!
    Robin

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sounds like you got some Cornish Rock chickens, the meat variety that FFA/4H are very popular with. Do they have wide stance placing of legs ( similar to the back legs of a Saddlebred when posing for show or pics) and thicker legs than your other chickens??? If they are thicker, wider in breast then you have those meat birds and if I am correct, they dont live long than the regular farm chicken. If they dont have big chests, wide stance of feet and thick limbs, then you might have White Rocks.

Cornish are not known to be good egg layers either. Excellent meat tho!

Hope this helps!

3. Andaloosa

Andaloosa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Your description of a Cornish Rock sounds right. Thanks!

How often will they lay an egg? They really aren't any good to me if they don't scratch through the manure for fly larve, so I'm not sure what to do with them. Yes, I'm one of those people who couldn't kill/de-feather a chicken to eat.

Robin

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    From what I hear from BYC members on the other websites, Cornish doesnt do like REAL chickens do by scratching and scrounging for food and bugs but hang around the feed pans like they are really hungry!

I dont know about ratio of egg laying...I am sure someone here can help!

5. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    go to one of the hatcheries sites, McMurray or Ideal and look at the Cornish Rock, hugh breast, they even look bow legged, think you might recognize what you have
    bmarshall

6. bigredrooster

bigredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    N.E Ga.
    I have a picture of my rooster I would like to know what breed he is. ,if I can pot it on here.Does anyone know how?

7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Hey BigRed, Im sure if you post a pic, there will be some suggestions as to what breed/s he might be. Good Luck!

8. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, thoes cornish rocks are no good as real chickens and even if they did lay eggs, I've never had one make it that long. They are for meat and get butchered between 6-8 weeks. I've kept a few that were especially nice for longer but they died of heart attacks before they were 3 months old. The big butter balls were just found dead with their heads in the feed. All they do is eat. If they could live longer they would be very nice calm birds. Since you aren't up for eating them yourself, you could sell them to someone who does or just let nature take it's course.

As for scratching around, you'd have to get some pullets that aren't a meat production type.

Good luck.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Go to www.feathersite.com and look at the cornish. There are pictures on there to help you identify your mystery bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by